Sunday, March 25, 2007

And I'm done.

It's terrible to say this but I'm sitting at home on my couch right now thinking back on the past 10 days and all I've done, and the whole time I can't get the sing-song tune of "Ding dong, the wicked witch is dead" out of my head.

Don't get me wrong - I have thoroughly enjoyed this year's Cherry Blossom Festival and it's still one of my favorite things about living in Macon. I relish this time of year when everything is blooming and you can actually find crowds of people hanging out downtown in the middle of the week. It almost makes it feel like we live in a bigger city than we really do. As soon as the festival is over, you'll be hard-pressed to find crowds downtown unless it's First Friday or there's some other big event going on. It's sad, but that's the reality of our town.

Anyway, as much as I enjoy the festival and all of the fun it brings with it, I am so tired and so glad that it is over. I am ready to get back to my regular schedule, and frankly, I'll be just fine if I don't see any men in pink for a little while.

Looking back on the festival as whole, I feel like this year's was a success. I do think the middle section kind of dragged a little, and the second weekend didn't seem nearly as busy as the first weekend in my opinion, but on the whole it was still enjoyable. The blossoms did finally come out by the end of the festival, and here's hoping that maybe they won't be as finicky next year.

I do want to take a minute to offer a special thanks to all the people who participated and helped make this blog what it was, especially those who played along and let me capture them on video.

And that's it for this year's Cherry Blossom Festival. I'll spare you the horrible poetry that marked the end of last year's cherry blogging and just say good bye.

Let the countdown for next year's festival begin!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pass this on to the powers that be please: After 7 years of not attending we decided to try again since the kids are LBT fans. After 25 years, you would think they would have major details like gate rules worked out. In one gate that says re entry possible, out of another gate that agrees with a special stamp for rentry, but when we rentered (keeping in mind it was 6:45) were told could not do so again. WHAT? how could they change their mind in 30 minutes. went to exit gate to find word was spread among vols to not allow exit/reentry. I can only suspect that greed was the reason.
I was told stories of vols taken advantage of ( no relief) and actually saw vols with tip jars!!
And who could see fireworks from the LBT area??? why not schedule for the actual end of concert like in years past, this made for a massive exodus for most to see the fireworks show then back to see LBT.
THanks for letting me vent.

Anonymous said...

Liked the blog and it was great to see the photos!
Your fan club in Spain

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing us another great year of fun!

Anonymous said...

THOROUGHLY enjoyed your blog! The Macon Telegraph should let you out of the copy room more often! You kept me entertained all week long, and I checked back several times each day to see what you had added. This was a SUPERB addition to the festival! Keep up the good work! I'm already looking forward to next year! ;)

Anonymous said...

I had such a good time reading your blog that I think the Macon Telegraph ought to ask you to write a weekly column about whatever YOU want... :-) and -of course- I'm sure they'll agree that you deserve a HUGE raise after all this hard work!!! After all, thanks to YOU, the Macon Telegraph was not only read in several states but also in many European countries, as well as South America, Australia and Korea... (and who knows where else?!)
Too bad for your fan club that the week is over :-(

GREAT JOB!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey everybody. Found out about the festival late :o(
Are blossoms done or are there still some in bloom to see this weekend (April 7-8)?